Roasted Strawberry Ice Cream (dairy free, vegan)
Roasted Strawberry Ice Cream
- 2 1/2 cups strawberries, halved
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 cups cashew milk
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, toss the strawberries with lemon zest and ¼ cup sugar. Spread the mixture on the lined baking sheet in an even layer. Roast in the oven for 15 minutes, until the strawberries are soft and have released their juices. Move the strawberries to a bowl and gently break up large pieces into smaller pieces. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, stir together coconut milk, cashew milk, xanthan gum, and the rest of the sugar. Bring to a low boil and allow to simmer, stirring often, until thickened, 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in the roasted strawberries and vanilla. Add the mixture to a large bowl and cover with plastic wrap, making sure the plastic wrap touches the surface of the mixture to prevent a film from forming. Chill completely.
- Add the mixture to your ice cream machine and churn the ice cream according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Freeze overnight or for a minimum of 7-8 hours before serving.