Nothing warms your home and belly more than a gluten free spiced apple crumble. In the fall and winter, I love whipping up this healthy dessert for cold, gloomy days. It’s one of my husband’s favorite desserts, and it’s so easy to take to any potluck or dinner party.
Gluten Free Spiced Apple Crumble
- 4-5 apples, peeled, cored, and sliced ¼ inch thick
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1¼ cup gluten free oats
- 1 cup cashew meal or almond meal
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 5 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup cane sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350 F. Prepare a 2.5-quart baking dish by greasing the bottom and sides with butter. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss the apple slices with the lemon juice, lemon zest, and cornstarch. Pour into the prepared baking dish and set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the gluten free oats, cashew meal, cinnamon, cardamom, brown sugar, and cane sugar.
- Using a pastry cutter, cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse sand.
- Grabbing handfuls of the flour mixture, clump the crumble topping while spreading it evenly over the apples. You want to have large bits of topping.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until the crumble topping is browned and the apples are fork tender. Allow to cool before serving.