I love finding new ways to make banana nut muffins. In this recipe for Gluten Free Banana Chia Seed Muffins, I combined desiccated coconut and cashew meal for a subtle nut flavor. Chia seeds add an extra boost of texture and nutritional value which make eating these bad boys guilt-free. Just kidding. And don’t you just love that soft yellow color?
Gluten Free Banana Chia Seed Muffins
Makes 24 muffins
- 1 cup gluten free oat flour
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1 cup cashew meal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 5 large overly ripe bananas, mashed
- ½ cup butter, room temperature
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- Preheat your oven to 375 F. Grease your muffin pan, or use paper cups, and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the oat flour, brown rice flour, cashew meal, baking soda and powder, salt, and xanthan gum. Set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, cream the brown sugar and butter using a hand mixer. Add the mashed banana, honey, eggs, and vanilla, and mix well.
- Add the flour mixture to the banana mixture, stirring until almost combined. Add the chia seeds and shredded coconut and mix well.
- Fill each muffin cup ¾ of the way full. Bake for 18-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a muffin comes out clean and the tops are just golden brown.